© 2018 B Thomas and C Jones web design.

To book
Call Now: 07875374407
Or for further information and enquiries...

The Cornish Crest

The Cornish Crest in its current livery.

Photo courtesy of Chris Oates 2017

History

The Cornish Crest was built in 1946 on the Fowey estuary, at a boatyard in Polruan. The Crest was built specifically for the hard grounding in St. Ives, which has been its home port ever since.

The Cornish Crest was built at a time when traditional luggers were being replaced with boats that were powered by motor only. It was originally built with a mizzen sail on the stern, unfortunatly this was removed at some point in its history.

Once part of over a 100 strong fleet of traditional wooden boats the Crest is the last of the original St. Ives fleet. It was built as a fishing boat but has been doing pleasure trips alongside this since the 50's. In recent years it has been retired as a fishing boat.

 

The Cornish Crest once belonged to a fleet of boats owned by the Paynter family who opperated Seal Island trips and fishing trips until the early 90's. Their fleet included The Cornish Belle, The Cornish Queen, Bluebell and Seahorse.

The Cornish Crest was known as 'The Silver Crest' before it was renamed in 1980 when it was aquired by the Paynter family. However these are not the only names it has gone under, it is believed to have sailed as the 'Boy Melvyn' and 'Mervyn' at some point in its long history.

Over the years its livery and colours have changed many times but the vessel and its use have remained throughout.

During the winter, the strong easterly winds prevent us from doing boat trips, so the boats get laid up in the very sheltered neighbouring harbour of Hayle. It is during this time that maintenance and preperation for the next summer season is carried out.

In 2015/16 the boat was stripped back to bare wood inspected, repinned and repainted. In the next few years I hope to return lots of the original stained wood finish and perhaps

re-instate the mizzen sail.

The Boat Itself

Built in Polruan in 1946 the Crest is carvel Larch over an Oak Frame.

It is 30 Foot in length and has a 9 Foot Beam (Width).

It has a 50Hp naturally aspirated Beta Marine diesel engine that propells it to 8-10 Knots (9-12Mph).

The vessel is licenced by the MCA to carry 13 people (12 Passengers, 1 Skipper).

The Crest has a 14 man liferaft and all required saftey equipment including lifejackets. It is also equipped with marine VHF, GPS chart plotter and Echo depth sounder/ fish finder.

C. Early 1950s

C. Early 1970s

C. 2002

2017